Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Officer – Hershey
Job Identification: 4562
Location: Idanre, Ondo
Job type: Full time
Contract Length: 1 year renewable
Team: Programme Development and Quality
- Level 3: The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people
- Save the Children is implementing a 3 year project aimed at ensuring child protection through reduced child labour and increased accountability in the cocoa-growing communities in Cross River and Ondo States in Nigeria.
- The MEAL Officer will be responsible for establishing and managing a robust Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) system for the project in their location. Core duties for the position include designing and implementing a MEAL system in accordance with Save the Children International (SCI) standards.
- The position holder will support evaluations/assessments, monitor program progress and quality, document lessons learnt, and contribute to periodic monitoring and reporting. Ensuring gender-sensitive, inclusive, and participatory MEAL processes, including children’s involvement, is crucial.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Senior MEAL Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: MEAL Assistant
- Direct: One
- Indirect: None
- Role Dimensions: Work with the program and Support Staff
Key Areas of Accountability
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Develop robust MEAL plans, systems, processes, and tools for the project in line with SCI and donor requirements.
- Take the lead in data collection efforts for the project, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Conduct in-depth data analysis to derive actionable insights and recommendations from project data.
- Execute quarterly monitoring, and accountability activities to enhance project performance, including quality benchmarks, data quality assessments, and/or data quality assessments.
- Document data collection and analysis findings, contributing to comprehensive and informative reports.
- Ensure monthly updates to the SCI’s Project reporting Information Management & Evidence (PRIME) system, accurately reflecting project progress and achievements.
- Monitor the implementation of programs, ensuring that activities are carried out according to standards
- Support in ensuring the project is implementing the 3 pillars of Accountability – Information sharing, participation and feedback & reporting and providing relevant documentation.
- Assist in establishing robust accountability mechanisms, ensuring the voices of project participants are considered in project adaptation/design and implementation.Conduct periodic community feedback and stakeholder meetings to gather input, feedback, and insights on the program, enhancing community engagement, and promoting transparency and accountability.
Knowledge Management & Learning:
- Actively engage in program learning initiatives, facilitating discussions and knowledge-sharing sessions among project teams.
- Ensure project MEAL documents are adequately stored in the SCI Resource Centre.
- Support in the development of case studies and success stories for the project
- Ensure risk assessments are done before any data collection that involves children.
- Ensure Safeguarding and PSEA are part of every training agenda.
Staff Management & Coaching
- Coaching and mentoring of direct report to achieve project deliverables.
- Support the implementation of the SCI performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of direct reports.
- Comply with SCI policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other tasks within the MEAL function as the line manager requires, adapting to project needs and challenges.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Degree level qualification in Information Technology, Economics, Statistics or Demography, or any related courses
Experience and Skills
- At least 3 years of experience working in MEAL for developmental organizations.
- Experience in implementing, Child protection and Protection programs in development contexts program is an added advantage.
- Experience in the use of analytical and visualization tools/software
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values, and principles including rights-based approaches and children’s participation.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, and achieving and role modeling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Set ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, take responsibility for their own personal development, and encourage their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children and engages and motivates others.
- Future-orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members external partners, and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Designing more effective admin and data management systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2023; 17:34
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online