Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian MEAL Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Team / Programme: MEAL/Nigeria Country Office
Contract Length: One (1) Year (Renewable)
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The MEAL Coordinator will lead high-quality monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning for Save the Children’s Borno programs, overseeing system design, implementation, evaluations, research, and accountability strengthening.
- The role includes mentoring MEAL staff and ensuring insights inform program decisions.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Senior MEAL Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: MEAL Officers
- Complexity: Manage diverse MEAL systems across sectors, integrating data for comprehensive program assessment and improvement.
- Relationships: Foster collaboration, knowledge sharing, and MEAL alignment with stakeholders for project success.
- Communication with Stakeholders: Clearly convey MEAL strategies and findings to stakeholders for transparent communication and buy-in on program improvements.
Key Areas of Accountability
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Oversee the Borno state MEAL team and provide high-quality MEAL technical leadership, support, and capacity building to the state implementation team.
- In collaboration with the program & technical team, support the development and implementation of project MEAL plans and quality benchmarks.
- Collaborate with the Research & Assessment Manager to plan and implement research, assessments, and evaluations for high-quality studies.
- Ensure project compliance with donor and SCI MEAL standards, standardizing reports using SCI’s PRIME system and IPTTs.
- Promote digitalization of monitoring and evaluation processes, and support coordination with BHA Third-Party Monitoring Initiatives.
- Aid in establishing and using accountability mechanisms in supported communities
- Ensure the project is implementing the 3 pillars of Accountability – Information sharing, participation and feedback & reporting and providing relevant documentation.
- Maintain humanitarian relief standards per Sphere Charter, SCI Code of Conduct, Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability.
Knowledge Management & Learning:
- Bring together data and findings from across projects to form a coherent basis for the analysis of impact which promotes learning and strategy development.
- Support the formulation of key project learning questions that will help to advance the evidence base.
- Stay updated on MEAL sector trends in Borno State, promote and adapt new methodologies, technologies, and best practices.
- Contribute to learning, evaluation, and the dissemination of lessons within Borno State to improve program performance.
- Collaborate with programs and advocacy colleagues to integrate learning and evidence into advocacy objectives in Borno State.
- Demonstrate, promote and raise awareness of SCI Safeguarding policy and the Code of Good Conduct (among children, employees, partners, beneficiaries, etc.)
- Ensure Safeguarding risk assessment are done for all MEAL activities that involve children.
Staff Management & Coaching:
- Identify learning and training needs for MEAL staff and support in capacity building and mentoring initiatives
- Support implementation of the SCI performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of direct reports.
- Coordinate with agencies and government, advocating for children’s needs.
- Engage in collaborative MEAL activities, ensuring compliance with Save the Children’s policies and procedures.
- Any other duties emerge as CO priorities relevant to the position
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The listed duties are not exhaustive, and the role holder may be assigned additional tasks within the reasonable scope of their skills and experience.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Statistics, Demographics, Public Policy, International Development, Economics, or related field.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum six (6) years of senior MEAL experience in international humanitarian and/or development projects.
- Expertise in MEAL software, including Atlas.ti, Advanced Excel, and Stata, for efficient data management.
- Proficient in collecting, processing, analysing, and reporting quantitative and qualitative data, with the ability to troubleshoot Kobo and CommCare-related issues.
- Effective team management in high-workload and dynamic contexts.
- Proactive and self-driven, seeking support when necessary.
- Exceptional organization, multitasking, and deadline-meeting abilities.
- Representation experience with effective communication skills.
- Proficient in writing quality assessment and evaluation reports.
- USAID-BHA project experience is advantageous.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Ensures accountability, empowering the team and partners for effective delivery and performance improvement.
- Sets ambitious goals, takes personal responsibility for development, and encourages team members to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
23rd November, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online