The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of School, International School of IITA
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Employment Type: Contract
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Head of School, International School of IITA.
- The International School of IITA offers a unique and rewarding work environment for educators and staff. The school is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that offers the IB Primary Years Programme, providing a world-class education to the children of nationally and internationally recruited staff at IITA. It has a small middle school that offers a hybrid of Cambridge curriculum married to an approach to learning and teaching that is becoming more inquiry-based, student-centred and concept driven.
- The school’s mission is to develop internationally minded, lifelong learners who will be knowledgeable, caring, and open-minded, through inquiry-based learning, to create a better and more peaceful world. The school has the vision to be a world-class school that develops students who will be internationally minded, lifelong learners in a conducive, supportive, and safe environment.
- We offer a comprehensive education that emphasizes the development of critical thinking, problem-solving, and effective communication skills in a multicultural and multilingual setting. The school community is committed to academic excellence, personal development, and social responsibility. Teachers at the school have the opportunity to be a part of a dynamic and passionate team that is dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of their students.
- Additionally, the school provides international professional development opportunities for its staff, helping to ensure that they have the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful educators. The school also offers a collaborative work environment, where staff members are encouraged to share ideas and best practices. With access to state-of-the-art facilities, a commitment to academic excellence, and a supportive work environment, the school is an excellent choice for anyone looking to make a positive impact on the lives of students.
- Located in Nigeria, the 1000-hectare IITA campus is situated in a serene and secure location, surrounded by lush vegetation, a lake, and a forest centre. This natural environment provides a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, making it the perfect place to call home. Not only does the campus offer a beautiful and peaceful environment, but it also provides a wide range of recreational and educational facilities that are available to residents.
- IITA provides a wide range of sports and recreation facilities onsite for the use of residents. These include a swimming pool, a basketball court, a football field, tennis courts, a squash court, and a golf course. IITA also has a well-equipped gymnasium, making it easy to stay active and healthy while living on campus.
- The IITA Forest Centre is a unique feature of the campus, which provides a natural environment for learning, research, and relaxation. The forest is a great place to take a walk and explore the local flora and fauna, as well as a place to relax and unwind.
- Not only does the IITA campus offer a beautiful natural environment and recreational facilities, but it also provides a wide range of educational opportunities in tropical agriculture and other environmental issues. IITA has research facilities such as a library, a herbarium, world-class laboratories, and a gene bank. The Knowledge Center (Library) has a wide range of books, journals, and other resources, making it easy to stay up to date on the latest research.
- The herbarium is a collection of dried plant specimens, which is used for research and identification of plant species. The laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and are used for research in various fields including plant breeding, genetics, and biotechnology. The gene bank is a repository of plant genetic materials, which is used for research and conservation of plant diversity. These facilities provide exceptional opportunities for educators to develop outstanding learning experiences for their students.
- The Head of School’s role is to provide strategic leadership and professional management for The International School of IITA. This will secure success and improvement for the school; ensure high-quality education and personalized learning for all its pupils and high standards and achievement in all areas of the school’s work.
- The Head of School will provide input as required in the development of international standard educational activities for school-age children in IITA.
- The Head of school will act as Designated Safeguarding Lead for IITA in Ibadan.
At the International School of IITA:
The head of school is:
- A 21st-century leader, comfortable with technology integration, committed to promoting academic excellence in all areas and committed to embodying international mindedness and the IB Learner Profile.
The head of school will:
- Lead a strategic review of the school mission, vision, and strategy with stakeholders in the school and IITA community.
- Ensure the school strategic plan reflects a commitment to the IB mission and philosophy alongside a commitment to the vision of IITA and CGIAR.
- Promote the school within IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, and internationally to enable IITA to recruit the best staff from across the globe to further its mission.
- Lead the pedagogical leadership team and school management team.
- Identify key issues within the school and report to/advise the IITA Management.
- Ensure that the school remains at the forefront of educational thinking.
- Responsible for the supervision, appraisal, and professional development of staff. This may be done directly or through members of the management team.
- Responsible for the coordination and leadership of curriculum review and development of all sections recommended in the PYP Evaluation Report, to be published after the visit in January 2024, and the PYP Programme Standards and Practices in conjunction with the pedagogical leadership team.
- Responsible for admission of new students to the school.
- Responsible for the coordination of assemblies and special events in conjunction with the pedagogical leadership team.
- Responsible for the oversight of curriculum enhancement activities in the school.
- Responsible for regular independent assessment of children’s progress in the school using appropriate benchmarking tools.
- Responsible for ensuring the school achieves and maintains international accreditation in line with the agreed strategic plan.
- Review the school organogram as necessary and oversee all recruitment and appointments in school alongside the IITA People and Culture Unit.
- Oversee the in-service staff training for school staff including in-house training, national training and international training.
- Maintain a strong sense of unity within the school community.
- Promote high standards of behaviour in the school.
- Build and promote a strong sense of motivation among staff and other members of the school community.
Across IITA more widely:
The head of school will:
- Support IITA to develop environmental education and agricultural education programmes by providing pedagogical input as required.
- Act as Designated Safeguarding Lead for IITA in Ibadan.
- Provide advice on child safeguarding in other IITA stations as necessary.
- Identify areas of concern within the International School, other childcare provisions, and IITA HQ more widely regarding child safeguarding and report to IITA Management.
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate Degree (Master’s) in International Education, Education Management, Education Leadership, or a related field.
- At least five years of international experience as head of school or administrator of a sizeable school division.
- Fluency in English.
- A passionate, capable, and committed school leader with the capacity, skills, and knowledge to lead the faculty.
- A high visibility leader with an open, warm, and friendly demeanour.
- A team player who is inspired to collaborate, excited to explore new ideas, and willing to learn from others.
- An excellent communicator with strong writing and speaking skills.
- A confident leader who displays humility, empathy, and is a good listener.
- A leader who is experienced in building positive relationships, and is equipped with the
- An effective time manager with good organizational skills and the ability to look at things in detail.
- Lives and breathes IB values.
- Interpersonal skills needed to successfully manage the human complexities of an international school community – a patient and calm individual with a willingness to listen and reflect, but decisive whenever decisions need to be made.
- Have an interest in developing our middle school programme.
The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Application Closing Date
25th November 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications must include a cover letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, and names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to the Head of People and Culture.
- IITA is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.